Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Tree painting

During Christmas Christmas we had our tree in the living room between the door and TV. This seemed an ideal position and when we removed it in January the wall seemed empty. There was an open space that made the room look odd and we needed something to fill it.

After I was done with Carina's closet doors (see them here). I had some wood and cloth left, and thought that I can use it to create a painting of a tree to give the room a better feel. The main problem being however that I have never painted anything worth displaying and I started this project with the idea that I can burn it if I got negative reviews...

At the end it turned out OK and, at least, it fills the space on the wall. Following is a video of the painting - note that it is sped up to only a few minutes since a 7  hour process may be a bit tedious to watch.

Painting done and in place
The wood, however, is just plain pine that was stained and sanded repeatedly. Below is a series of pictures of the changes.
2x4 cm pine - cut to lenght
Everything going to plan - thus far
Staining of wood
Colour steps: A small block of original coloured pine with a stained piece below it (2 coats with sanding between). A the bottom the final product after sanding and lots of polishing with oil. 

The assembly of the frame and the adding of the cloth was done in a similar fashion as the closet doors:
Home made corner pieces from scrap aluminium
Corner piece added temporarily while glue is drying - also some branding added
Frame done
Adding the cloth after cutting it to the correct size and ironing it
Bottom section stapled down - I used cardboard strips to roll the cloth onto and keep it straight, see post on closet doors for details
All sides done
Corner pieces added to support frame
Frame completed and cloth added

I am not sure how common it is to fame the cloth prior to painting but this is the way I did it. The last part was thus to paint the tree and again I turned to the interwebs for some inspiration. After looking many many tree pictures I found one that I liked. After a bit of photo-shopping I enlarged it and used it as a backing to help get the layout correct when painting.
Testing the figure layout in the frame (note this was prior to adding the cloth)
Picture stick to table and covered with clingfilm
Home made "tripod" to film the painting process
Working from several versions to get the layout correct - but with loads of improvisation
Final product prior to hanging.

The wall, obviously, seem less empty with the painting (There is still one large open area that makes the whole living room feel unbalanced. Here however we will place the 5000 piece puzzle once it is finished but more about this monstrous project later). I enjoyed this project but do not think I will quit my job to become a painter. I will however try to do more woodwork and will post more on this as it happens...